Saturday, January 13, 2018

Celebrate This Week-Embracing Change-January 13, 2018

Each Week Ruth Ayres hosts a platform where she writes about something to celebrate from the week and invites others to celebrate with her. Visit her blog, Ruth Ayres Writes to read more. 


I have not written a celebrate this week post for a very long time, not because I don't have lots to celebrate, but time just seems to get away from me. 

This is more of a cumulative celebration than specifically just this week. 
This school year I left my position as a 4th grade teacher, which I held for 14 years, for a position as Lead K-2 RTI teacher in the same building. Not only was it a change in position, but also a drastic change in grade levels. I work with the younger population who are initial and striving readers. I went from feeling very confident in my abilities and knowing my job well, to feeling like a fish out of water. 

So this week I celebrate change and growth.  Change is rarely comfortable at first. There are new routines to learn, systems to navigate, and expectations to meet. I have keenly felt the uneasiness of change and uncertainty this year and instead of fighting it, I decided to embrace it. I ask LOTS of questions and continue to make more than my fair share of mistakes. But, with each passing week, I learn more and I do better. 

It is January and I am starting to feel more comfortable, all thanks to the RTI teachers that I am so lucky to work with. The team consists of 6 other highly trained and experienced teachers and each one has helped me in so many ways. They continue to answer my questions and show patience when I forget to do something or when I do something differently than the previous teacher who held the position for many years
This change has improved and deepened my knowledge of early literacy and allowed me to get to know many colleagues in ways I had not before. It also has solidified, 2 things that I already knew. First, no matter how much we know, how many degrees or professional experiences we have, there is always much more to learn. And second, we are better when we work together. 

I am looking forward to continuing on this messy and exciting journey of learning and change with my amazing colleagues.

12 comments:

  1. Gigi,
    Congrats on your new position. I hope you continue to look forward and learn along the way in your "messy and exciting journey". Learning new things and applying them in meaningful ways is fun and adventurous, isn't it? Cheers!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for persevering! I'd love to hear about some of the lessons you've learned about early literacy (some time in the future). Happy MLK weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a challenge! Being a middle grade teacher who moved from many years in 5th to 4th, I understand the pain of getting out of that comfortable place of knowledge and into a new learning space. Congratulations and kuddos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations for taking on that challenge, Gigi, and I'm glad to read you are feeling good about it now! When I moved to be the lit coach for all the school, I felt challenges, too, but loved working with all the ages, as I imagine you are feeling too about now. Happy New Year in your new work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Because I do more than one thing at a time, I am listening to Brene Brown and reading blog posts. She is talking about vulnerability. When we embrace our vulnerability, we connect with others. You have reached out to your colleagues in an honest way and made a connection that will move your students forward. I have a new supervisor. She is a close friend, too, and she said she has met her challenge highway. There are challenges to doing something new, but these challenges are doable. You got this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are two important lessons. I know I am always learning. Sometime it's easy and sometimes not, but I keep learning new things all the time. And yes, we're better together. Congrats on accepting the challenge and moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your post reminds me of when I left fourth grade to teach first grade. I was scared to death, but oh, what a wonderful experience it was. I learned so much! Good luck as you embrace this new journey.

    ReplyDelete