Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Nonfiction Picture Book Wednesday-Winter Bees & Other Poems of the Cold



My Friend Alyson Beecher at Kid Lit Frenzy hosts weekly link up to share Nonfiction Picture Books. Please visit her amazing website.


by Joyce Sidman and Rick Allen
Published 2014 by HMH Books for Young Readers
32 Pages
Review copy obtained from public library
Maine Student Book Award Nominee 2015-2016

This book combines poetry, beautiful illustrations and nonfiction text about how animals stay alive in the cold. I love the concept of this book. Living in Maine, I have often wondered how many animals survive through the long, frigid winters. Did you know that the entrances to a beaver lodge are all under the ice, but the lodge itself is above water level? And a fox has hearing so acute it can hear a vole moving under the snow! This book is filled with fascinating facts nestled within beautiful poetry and described in short exposition. 
I would highly recommend Winter Bees for grades 3-6. 

4 comments:

  1. It is very much a beautiful book of both poetry and information. I just gave this to a student yesterday who's writing some n-f poetry, Gigi. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyce Sidman is wonderful. I haven't seen this one yet, but I have no doubt it is as stellar as her other books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that there seems to be lots of nfpb's told in verse! Thanks for reminding me of this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading this book earlier this winter. I agree, I think it's for older elementary students. The artwork was exquisite too. I believe I saw she has another book coming out this year.

    ReplyDelete