Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Nonfiction Picture Book Wednesday-February 18, 2015



My Friend Alyson Beecher at Kid Lit Frenzy hosts weekly link up to share Nonfiction Picture Books. Please visit her amazing website.


by Sara Levine
Illustrated by T.S. Spookytooth

By asking questions, the author helps the reader compare human skeletons to the skeletons of other animals. For example all animals have skulls, ribs and vertebrae. The author adds, changes or removes types of bones and asks the reader to predict what type of animal would have that kind of skeleton. Then she gives more information about the animal. This book is filled with interesting facts. For example, did you know that a single giraffe vertebrae can be ten inches long? 

With a mixture of realistic skeleton illustrations and adorable cartoonish children, Bone by Bone will engage elementary readers. Sara Levine includes extra information about bones and vertebrates, a glossary and suggestions for further reading in the back of the book. 

Bone by Bone would make a wonderful addition to a nonfiction picture book collection or a unit on the skeletal system or animal classification. Grades K-4.

Resources:






4 comments:

  1. I still haven't taken the time to look for this book, and it sounds fascinating, Gigi. I should also tell our librarians about it. Thanks! And Happy Birthday to TJ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pleased you found and enjoyed this title Gigi! I think it is a really great one. I am planning to share it with our K class later this month when I get to do a story time with them. It's so engaging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good! It reminds me of my aunt Jan. She was a jr. high science teacher and when I was young, we'd go on walks, and if she found a skeleton of a long-dead animal by the side of the road, she'd pick it up and put it back together when we got back by gluing it down to construction paper. ;-) She'd take a guess as to what it was. I thought it was gross. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really, really enjoyed this book! I think it was such an interesting way to share information about animals!
    (P.S. I hope TJ had a great birthday!)

    ReplyDelete