Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Nonfiction Picture Book Wednesday-October 29, 2014

My Friend Alyson Beecher at Kid Lit Frenzy hosts weekly link up to share Nonfiction Picture Books. Please visit her amazing website.

The Right Word: Roget and His Thesaurus
by Jen Bryant
Illustrated by Melissa Sweet 
Published by Erdman's 2014
Nonfiction Picture Book
42 Pages
Review copy obtained from public library


Ever wonder how Roget's Thesaurus was created? Well, it all started with a boy who loved to make lists. In the absolutely beautiful picture book, Jen Bryant and Melissa Sweet team up again to create this engaging and informative book (they originally published A River of Words: The Story of William Carlos Williams). 
In this book, the reader learns how Roget kept notebooks filled with lists of words in his attempt to find just the right words he wanted to use. 
Over decades the lists became the first Roget's Thesaurus. I love everything about this book. It is wonderful for children throughout elementary school, but students in grades 2-5 will get the most from it in my opinion. This is my current favorite nonfiction picture book published this year. 

Enjoy this book trailer of The Right Word.

4 comments:

  1. It's a fabulous book, I agree, Gigi. I've already lent it out to a student who loves words. This book will be passed around a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have wanted to find this book Gigi. Hearing that it is your favourite of the year makes me want to find it even more! The trailer is so appealing! List making is a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the details in the illustrations of this book, including the endpapers. I love lists!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing the book trailer for The Right Word. We can't wait to get this one.

    ReplyDelete